Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Leave it to you to use big words when you're smashed

Ever have one of those awful days when all you can think about are all of your stupid mistakes?
Today was one of those days for me.
Made much worse by one cup of angry dad and a teaspoon of getting stood up.

For the first time in a couple of years, I decided to watch Cruel Intentions all the way through and I must say after years of watching it in pieces on the FX network, it's been quite the pleasure to see it in full. It's one of those films that only come around every so often. Sure, the script contains big words and the soundtrack contains Placebo, but teenagers at any age and with any knowledge in the departments of sex, sex and (am I forgetting sex?) sex will be able to comprehend the general premise of this film. No to sound completely pretentious and hypocritical (although there was no way to avoid it), but today's youth is disappointing.
 
That is why I so greatly admired the in-your-face break-out insanity that young adults in 60s stamped upon history. Sure, some kids today are angry over the war in the Middle East and sure some kids are bothered by politics and the issues surrounding them. Unfortunately, nobody is doing a damn thing about it. I could go on for hours about how much this annoys me and I would very much start rallies and riots myself, it's just that young adults of this generation are too busy wrapping themselves up in World of Warcraft and the "pathetic emptiness of their meaningless, consumer driven lives", to put it in the words of Kat Stratford, one of my fictional heroes. Heroines. Oops. 
I'm not saying that people don't protest and/or stand up for what they believe in. My point is, this generation is increasingly becoming a disappointment and I greatly admire young adults from the past and their efforts to work for a better world for us, the next generation. Now, I know I'm not the only one who thinks it's unfair that we don't try and make the world better for our children. Selfishness will be the downfall of us. 
 
Now, Don't Let Me Down. Well, actually, don't let them down.

No comments:

Post a Comment