Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Goodbye my hopeless dream


Agh! I just learned that Death Cab penned a new song for the soundtrack to New Moon, the second film in the f*cking Twilight series. I truly used to be a fan of Meyer's Twilight simply until it got too big and commercial. I have all of the books, but I've only read Twilight (about 3 or 4 times actually). Supposedly, I always "stay true to my indie nature by not going to mainstream." Hmpf. 



Agh! I'm 18. I've been 18 for about 14 hours now. I don't feel much different, but I feel like I should feel much different. If that makes any sense.

On a more positive note, I've decided that I would like to start reading The Great Gatsby again. One of my all-time favorite stories. A friend of mine and I were discussing it the other night and I just realized that I remembered all of these details and moments in the book where you just have to sigh or feel some sort of aching pain for Gatsby (and for Daisy because she's such a stupid flake). 



Oh, and obviously, being a "fair-weather" feminist (thanks for that Alyssa) I didn't like nor will I ever like Tom. He's hulking.

I have always had a soft spot for literature's favorite drunken piano player, Klipspringer (ain't he got fun?)

I just had such extravagant visions brewing in my head each time I started a new paragraph. Everything from Gatsby's parties filled with strangers only used as props to impress Daisy to the death of the ever-so-annoying mistress Myrtle, I pictured everything so vividly. It's just a beautiful story and I recommend it to anyone who hasn't read it via English class. 



Oh, and don't forget the symbolism...



Anywho, I'm looking forward to reading it again. I haven't read it since sophomore year English class, but it's obviously stuck with me if I can remember this much about the story (and more, which I evidently didn't feel like throwing in here). I usually can't remember what I did yesterday or the day before and occasionally, I have senior moments when I honestly cannot recall what was said and/or done five minutes ago. And some kids think their parents are/act old?

This reminds me, I keep leaving my copy of Survivor at work...

In other news, this season's fall prime time line-up is a joke so far. I watched Glee last night and I wasn't too impressed. A few things here and there made me chuckle, but otherwise it wasn't really my cup of tea. I also didn't even watch the Pilot, so I'll admit, I was just a teensy bit lost. The thing with the balloons and the erections was kind of weird to watch with my little sister. 

Anyway, I'm not really one to venture into watching new shows. I usually see advertisements for one that I end up "dying" to want to watch, I watch it, love it, follow it, see it end and then watch all of its reruns over again and so on and so forth. Fun stuff, really.

I hope this season of Gossip Girl is as impressive as last season. I remember the plot of one of the last episodes of the season was a near carbon copy of a current situation I was in (minus a few details here and there). It was weird, but it sure was easy to follow and understand. It was one of the first times I ever actually felt bad for Serena. On a regular night, I don't really give two shits about Serena and how model-esque and beautiful she may be.


I really like Blair. I seem to sympathize with her a lot and I find myself relating to her more often than not. Even in the books she's my favorite character. 



I also used to like Little J too until she bitched-out on everybody. Now she's Queen Bee or something. I liked her went she was cute, innocent and infected with the fashion bug. Now she's got bleached out hair, wearing those God-awful harem pants with ankle boots and heavy eyeliner. Ick. I respect her risk, but she turned out looking more like a Los Angeles hipster as seen in Mark "The Cobrasnake"'s photographs more than anything else.



There's just a serious lack of originality, which is what I was getting at with "this season's fall prime time line-up is a joke so far." It's not just in prime time television, it's fucking everywhere. I'm drowning in a sea of recycled ideas. Recycling is only good for the environment when it comes those old soda bottles sitting under your brother's bed or that heap of peanuts surrounding last Christmas' snow globe. It's NOT okay for television, books, movies and music. Especially not music. 


^
Now that's originality, my friends.

I suppose that's all I have so say for now. Of course, I'll be back shortly with more shit to complain about. Ta-ta.

No comments:

Post a Comment